UEFA Denies Planning To Hold Euro 2020 In Russia

Forum 3 years ago

UEFA Denies Planning To Hold Euro 2020 In Russia

UEFA has denied planning to hold Euro 2020 in Russia amid the ongoing restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/d4c08073a7ee917d74bca7a4b8880922.jpg

The European Championship was pushed back by a year in March following the Covid-19 outbreak, which has caused over 1.2 million deaths across the globe to date.

The 24-team tournament was originally due to be held across 12 different countries, with Bilbao, Amsterdam, Baku, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dublin, Glasgow, London, Munich, Rome and St Petersburg all set to host matches.

However, reports of a potential change to that format have surfaced this week, with UEFA said to be drawing up a proposal to stage the competition in Russia, which has emerged as the leading candidate to host after successfully staging the 2018 World Cup finals.

Fears over continent-wide travel restrictions and quarantine rules are thought to be behind the push for reform, with several of the countries scheduled to stage games currently in lockdown as steps to contain the spread of coronavirus continue to be taken.

However, UEFA has insisted that a deviation from the pre-ordained format for Euro 2020 is not being considered, and that plans for the tournament to go ahead include welcoming supporters back into stadiums.

“UEFA’s efforts are currently focused on planning a tournament with fans in all 12 venues,” a UEFA spokesperson told SID.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Euro 2024: UEFA to increase squad size to 26 players
Forum | 21 hours ago

Euro 2024: UEFA to increase squad size to 26 players

I’ve Reported The Case To Police — Skiibii Denies TikToker Nickie Dabarbie’s Money Ritual Claim
Forum | 2 days ago

I’ve Reported The Case To Police — Skiibii Denies TikToker Nickie Dabarbie’s Money Ritual Claim

Kaduna: Former Speaker Denies Approving $350m Loan
Forum | 5 days ago

Kaduna: Former Speaker Denies Approving $350m Loan

For All Mankind Season 5 Renewal, Russia Spin-off Ordered at Apple TV+
Forum | 5 days ago

For All Mankind Season 5 Renewal, Russia Spin-off Ordered at Apple TV+