We will ensure government fulfills its commitment - Senate President, Ahmad Lawan

Forum 3 years ago

We will ensure government fulfills its commitment - Senate President, Ahmad Lawan

Senate President Ahmad Lawan has stated that the national assembly will collaborate with the Executive to ensure justice for victims of misconduct and rights abuses by personnel of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/2e48eaf39b8617c5db1721eff2bbfa1c.jpg

In a statement he released on Monday October 26, the Senate President stated that they will also ensure that the government fulfills its commitment to the protesters even though the protests against police brutality was hijacked. 

Lawan also asked youths to leave the streets as Government has heard their voices and is addressing their grievances. 

The statement read; 

“We will also work with the Executive to ensure that the five-point demands of the #EndSARS protesters which the government has committed itself to be fully implemented.

“In spite of the unfortunate hijack of the protests against police brutality by hoodlums to unleash horrifying violence, arson, looting and wanton destruction of public and private property on the country, we will ensure that government fulfills the commitment it has made to the well-meaning agitators for police reform and good governance. 

“I send my condolences to the families of our security and law enforcement agents who have made the supreme sacrifices in the course of their service to their fatherland.

“I also call for a thorough investigation of every criminal act that we have witnessed in the past few weeks with a view to bringing to justice all those elements who have so callously destroyed public and private property. 

“I call on our patriotic youths to leave the streets as Government has heard their voices and is addressing their grievances. This is also necessary to avoid unwittingly continuing to provide covers for the criminals and fifth columnists in our midst. 

"However, as regards those criminal elements unleashing terror on our cities under the guise of the protest, I urge the security agencies to forthwith but with utmost restraint, restore law and order across the country and bring the criminals to justice.

"While still grappling with the havoc of COVID-19, the country can ill afford yet another epidemic that has now appeared in the form of the lawlessness that is going on.

“I thank all Nigerian leaders and other well-meaning Nigerians for their interventions towards restoring peace and order after the unfortunate degeneration of the protest into chaos and brigandage in many parts of the country.

“In particular, I thank all Nigerians for their patience and understanding in this trying moment in our dear country.

“I thank you all for your wise counsel to the protesting youths to embrace peace and for Government to be open and sincere in addressing the issues that the youths have raised so clearly."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)
Forum | 1 day ago

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)

APC Crisis: Oshiomhole’s Sack Tactics Applied In Ganduje’s Suspension – Bashir Ahmad Speaks
Forum | 3 days ago

APC Crisis: Oshiomhole’s Sack Tactics Applied In Ganduje’s Suspension – Bashir Ahmad Speaks

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu
Forum | 4 days ago

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu

Forum | 4 days ago