Jaden Smith says he wears a skirt so future generations won't get bullied

Forum 7 years ago

Jaden Smith says he wears a skirt so future generations won't get bullied

17 year old Jaden Smith says he wears skirts and continues to fight gender stereotypes because he hopes that one day, it will mean children can wear anything they want without being bullied.

Earlier this year, the actor and son of Hollywood couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, featured in a womenswear campaign for fashion powerhouse Louis Vuitton wearing a skirt.

While this brought Smith’s gender fluid style to the mainstream, he’d been spotted challenging fixed gender norms before including when he wore a dress to his high-school prom.

When asked by Nylon magazine where he gets the confidence to keep pushing societal boundaries he said:
"You just have to believe in yourself, you know. The world is going to keep bashing me for whatever I do and I’m going to keep not caring.

“I’m going to take most of the blows for my fellow MSFTS [his brand]. So you know, in five years when a kid goes to school wearing a skirt, he won’t get beat up and kids won’t get mad at him. It just doesn’t matter,” he said. “I’m taking the brunt of it so that later on, my kids and the next generations of kids will all think that certain things are normal that weren’t expected before my time.”

Smith is one of several high-profile individuals challenging gender stereotypes by publicly styling themselves however they wish and rejecting the premise that certain items of clothing are restricted to one gender

Ruby Rose has spoken openly about identifying as gender fluid while the rapper Young Thug, who last year told GQ ,“90 per cent of my clothes are women’s”, recently starred in a campaign for Calvin Klein where he proclaimed there to be “no such thing as gender”.

“In my world, you could be a gangsta with a dress, or you could be a gangsta with baggy pants. I feel like there’s no such thing as gender,” he said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants Director Says ‘There Will Be Nudity’ in Animated Movie
Forum | 3 days ago

The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants Director Says ‘There Will Be Nudity’ in Animated Movie

Fear Women - Nigerian Man Says As he Declares Girlfriend Wanted For Stealing
Forum | 3 days ago

Fear Women - Nigerian Man Says As he Declares Girlfriend Wanted For Stealing

My Collaboration With Rema Will Dictate Future of Nigerian Music – Pheelz
Forum | 5 days ago

My Collaboration With Rema Will Dictate Future of Nigerian Music – Pheelz

New Bad Boys: Ride or Die Poster Previews Will Smith and Martin Lawrence’s Next Adventure
Forum | 1 week ago

New Bad Boys: Ride or Die Poster Previews Will Smith and Martin Lawrence’s Next Adventure