Bernd Leno “Not A Top Four Keeper” As Decision To Sell Emiliano Martinez Questioned

Forum 3 years ago

Bernd Leno “Not A Top Four Keeper” As Decision To Sell Emiliano Martinez Questioned

Former Arsenal centre-back Tony Adams has questioned the club’s decision to sell backup goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez and restore Bernd Leno as No.1.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/02eba1bad59c0dcfd7b8f56924d8bf42.jpgMartinez who shone at the back end of last season while Leno was injured – has departed to join Aston Villa, with Leno back between the sticks for the Gunners.

But while Martinez has got off to a good start to his Villa career, Leno was far from convincing during his side’s 3-1 defeat to Liverpool on Monday, and appeared to particularly struggle dealing with crosses into the box.

And speaking to Astro SuperSport, Adams suggested Arsenal may regret their decision to let Martinez go.

Mikel Arteta pinpoints Virgil van Dijk moment that proved Liverpool’s class in Arsenal win

“Martinez was incredible in their cup run. He was absolutely sensational,” Adams said. “And I do like big ones and what Leno does struggle with, for me, is crosses and stuff.

“But it isn’t about me. Arteta’s gone, ‘No, Leno is my number one, I like him,’ and he’s put all his faith in him. But I don’t believe that he’s a top-four goalkeeper, for me.

Arteta happy with Arsenal attitude despite defeat by Liverpool

“Martinez, it was coincidence, everything fell into place for Arsenal in the cup competition last year, it was like it was written in the stars.

“This goalkeeper comes in – been at the club for 10 years and not played 10 games – and he stops everything! He was a man possessed, he was absolutely incredible. And for me, he was the number one

“Now you’ve made the opportunity, you’ve got experience, go okay, yep. But Arteta’s the man and he’s chosen a different goalkeeper.”

Arsenal have brought in a new No.2 goalkeeper this summer, signing Icelandic shot-stopper Runar Alex Runarsson from French side Dijon, and it remains to be seen if he will be given an opportunity to shine in the near future if Leno’s mixed form continues.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries

EPL: They’re top scorers – Ferdinand questions Ten Hag’s decision on two Man Utd players
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: They’re top scorers – Ferdinand questions Ten Hag’s decision on two Man Utd players

Transfer: Carlo Ancelotti resists Real Madrid’s plan to sell key player
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Transfer: Carlo Ancelotti resists Real Madrid’s plan to sell key player

Three Men Steal A Motorcycle Worth N400k In Bauchi, Sell It For N100k And Use Money To Lodge In Hotel With Girlfriends
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Three Men Steal A Motorcycle Worth N400k In Bauchi, Sell It For N100k And Use Money To Lodge In Hotel With Girlfriends