South African Songstress Nomcebo Recounts How She Almost Gave Up On Music

Forum 3 years ago

South African Songstress Nomcebo Recounts How She Almost Gave Up On Music

Nomcebo has revealed that she almost gave up on her music and life before she dropped the hit single with Master KG, “Jerusalema.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/34689070bebd3eb3c10cecf6c27e45e6.jpg

The mother of two has been in the music industry for 15 years.

She revealed she has been a back up singer during that period for ahara, Nhlanhla Nciza, Deborah Fraser and Lundi Tyamara.

According to Nomcebo, she said she wanted more for her music career but none was forth coming and she made up her mind she was going to stop.

She said it was Master KG who offered her a lifeline with their smash hit Jerusalema

For years she wanted her own music career and had reached her limit last year before Master KG asked her to feature on the song that has sparked an international dance craze and found favour with A-listers ranging from soccer legend Cristiano Ronaldo to President Cyril Ramaphosa, who urged Mzansi to take part in the Jerusalema dance challenge on Heritage Day.

Nomcebo broke into tears as she shares how the song saved her life.

“This is a dream come true because I have wanted this all my life. I remember just before Jerusalema I was frustrated that things were not happening for me and I was praying a lot.”

“Music is like a calling to me, so I felt like something was burning inside of me and I needed it out.

“I was in this place where I was stuck in this funk of sleeping and waking up, but there was nothing happening for me. I was so depressed that I felt like I was close to taking my own life.”

She concluded: “Master KG played the beat three or four times and the words that came to mind were ‘Jerusalema, ikhaya lami’ [Jerusalem is my home],” she recounts.

“At the time I felt like my purpose was not on this earth and God need to take me to Jerusalem, where I can find peace and happiness, like others.”

Her dream of dropping a solo album came true when she released her five-track offering, Xola Moya Wam, in August.

Listen to the song:

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Lady Recounts How Lagos Motorist Bashed Her Car And Still Tried to Woo Her
Forum | 4 days ago

Lady Recounts How Lagos Motorist Bashed Her Car And Still Tried to Woo Her

Junior Pope: Survivor Recounts Actor’s Last Minutes, Reveals Cause of Boat Accident
Forum | 5 days ago

Junior Pope: Survivor Recounts Actor’s Last Minutes, Reveals Cause of Boat Accident

Police Arrest Nigerian And South African Man In Johannesburg, Seize Drugs Worth Over N53M
Forum | 6 days ago

Police Arrest Nigerian And South African Man In Johannesburg, Seize Drugs Worth Over N53M

Yomi Fabiyi Recounts How Late Jumoke Aderounmu Encouraged Him
Forum | 6 days ago

Yomi Fabiyi Recounts How Late Jumoke Aderounmu Encouraged Him