Real Madrid Defender Varane Finally Speaks Out After His BIG Mistake Against Man City In Champions League

Forum 3 years ago

Real Madrid Defender Varane Finally Speaks Out After His BIG Mistake Against Man City In Champions League

Raphael Varane admits to finding it “difficult” to make peace with the fact that his “mistakes” cost Real Madrid in a Champions League horror show against Manchester City.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/3a26051d4124b25ef395009e16e991bd.png

The Blancos centre-half is a World Cup-winning defender, but he endured an evening to forget at the Etihad Stadium in early August.

Zinedine Zidane’s side arrived in England full of confidence on the back of a La Liga title triumph, but their European dreams were to be dashed as they suffered a second 2-1 defeat to City of the last-16 stage.

Varane was largely responsible for their demise, with Gabriel Jesus robbing him of the ball to tee up Raheem Sterling for the opening goal at the Etihad.

The France international then nodded straight into the path of Jesus when trying to find Thibaut Courtois as Real’s continental ambitions unravelled in Manchester.

Varane held his hands up afterwards and concedes that it took some time for him to shake a disappointing performance from his system.

The 27-year-old told beIN Sports:

“Yes, for sure that will not remain a very good memory in my career. It was a difficult game for me, this elimination.

“Immediately after the match I wanted to take responsibility, I made some mistakes, it cost us the victory.

“You had to digest and watch what is happening ahead, and think about what is happening. At the highest level, we don’t have time to think about it, we have to think about the next game.

“The days that followed were a bit difficult, I admit, but at the top level, you have to look ahead quickly.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Hit Man Trailer Shows Glen Powell Playing a Master of Disguise
Forum | 1 day ago

Hit Man Trailer Shows Glen Powell Playing a Master of Disguise

A Big Bold Beautiful Journey Cast: Phoebe Waller-Bridge & More Join Margot Robbie-Led Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

A Big Bold Beautiful Journey Cast: Phoebe Waller-Bridge & More Join Margot Robbie-Led Movie

Hit Man Poster Previews the Glen Powell-led Comedy Action Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

Hit Man Poster Previews the Glen Powell-led Comedy Action Movie

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with
Forum | 2 days ago

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with