Some Public Commentators Make Baseless Assertions – Osinbajo

Forum 3 years ago

Some Public Commentators Make Baseless Assertions – Osinbajo

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Friday regretted that some public commentators make baseless assertions on the economy.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/c9f4c4417dfd1b6525de8f04b8613508.png

He, therefore, stressed the need for academics to be more involved in conversations that would deepen public knowledge and understanding of the economy.

According to a statement by his spokesman, Laolu Akande, the Vice President spoke in his keynote at the 61st annual conference of the Nigerian Economic Society with the theme, ‘African Continental Free Trade Area in post COVID-19 era: What next for Nigeria?’

Akande’s statement was titled, ‘Africa should use AfCFTA as template for trade negotiations with rest of the world, says Osinbajo.’

He quoted Osinbajo as calling on members of NES to be more engaged in public policy debates.

He said,

“I find it every often that some public commentators make assertions that have no basis in economic theory or practice, and because they dominate the public space, they contribute to public misunderstanding of economic principles and their application to public policy.

“Some of you should take up the gauntlet and help to shape an informed and reasoned national discourse on the economy.”

Osinbajo noted that as African countries brace up for the implementation of AfCFTA agreement, efforts must be made to ensure that trade negotiations with the rest of the world are based on the free trade agreement rather than deals separately endorsed by regional economic blocs.

This, he said, was one of the ways by which the continent could maximise the benefits of the agreement.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out
Forum | 21 hours ago

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out

Martin Scorsese Hoping to Make Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence
Forum | 2 days ago

Martin Scorsese Hoping to Make Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence

UCL: They can make it difficult- Klinsmann picks team to win Bayern vs Arsenal
Forum | 2 days ago

UCL: They can make it difficult- Klinsmann picks team to win Bayern vs Arsenal

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage
Forum | 3 days ago

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage