Jose Mourinho Mocks Man City’s Plans To Sign Lionel Messi

Forum 3 years ago

Jose Mourinho Mocks Man City’s Plans To Sign Lionel Messi

Jose Mourinho has taken a subtle swipe at Manchester City by insisting that Tottenham couldn’t have signed Lionel Messi because they “respect Financial Fair Play”.

Messi made headlines across the world last month after handing in a formal transfer request at Camp Nou at the end of a disastrous 2019-20 campaign.

The Argentine sought to activate the release clause in his contract which allows him to leave Barca on a free transfer at the end of any season, but the club blocked his departure with the support of La Liga.

The 33-year-old had been heavily linked with a move to Manchester City, but confirmed during a world exclusive interview with Goal last week that he has agreed to remain in Catalonia for at least one more year to avoid a drawn-out legal battle.

City are one of the few clubs in world football that have the financial muscle to pull off a deal for Messi, however they were hit with a two-season European ban at the start of the year due to an alleged breach of FFP regulations.

Mourinho couldn’t resist another aiming another dig at the Blues during a promotional video for Top Eleven, insisting that although Messi would make his final team, Spurs would not be willing to break any rules to try and bring him onto their books.

Asked if he would like to sign the Barca superstar, the 57-year-old told JOE:

“For my Top Eleven team? No, not for Tottenham. Just for Top Eleven.

“We respect Financial Fair Play at Tottenham.

“He can only go to a team that doesn’t respect Financial Fair Play, so it’s not Tottenham, for sure.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Lady In Shock As Man She Asked On A Date Invites Her To His Wedding
Forum | 9 hours ago

Lady In Shock As Man She Asked On A Date Invites Her To His Wedding

My Spy: The Eternal City Photo Sets Release Date for Dave Bautista Sequel
Forum | 15 hours ago

My Spy: The Eternal City Photo Sets Release Date for Dave Bautista Sequel

Hit Man Trailer Shows Glen Powell Playing a Master of Disguise
Forum | 23 hours ago

Hit Man Trailer Shows Glen Powell Playing a Master of Disguise