Man U Star Rashford Forms Task Force To Combat Child Food Poverty

Forum 3 years ago

Man U Star Rashford Forms Task Force To Combat Child Food Poverty

Manchester United star Marcus Rashford has formed a taskforce with England’s food brand giants to combat child poverty across the country.

Rashford campaigned to extend free school meals for vulnerable children earlier this year, and the government eventually allowed the initiative to continue outside of term time amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The 22-year-old wrote an impassioned letter to members of parliament while drawing on his own experiences as a child, and received a positive response from Great Britain’s prime minister Boris Johnson.

However, the England international still feels that many families are in need of extra help, and has appealed to MP’s to look into the issue even further.

The likes of Aldi, Asda, Co-op, FareShare, Food Foundation, Kellogg’s, Lidl, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose have all united in a bid to help push through the National Food Strategy’s three main policy recommendations.

These proposed changes centre around expanding free school meals and holiday food and activities, and increasing the value of ‘Healthy Start’ vouchers, with Rashford hopeful that Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak will adjust the country’s budget accordingly.

“Within two days of sitting with these families, I could better understand how food poverty is contributing to social unrest,” the United striker’s latest open letter to the government reads.

“Watching a young boy keeping it together whilst his mother sobbed alongside him, feeling like he has to step up to protect his family and alleviate some of that worry. He was nine-years-old.

“I know that feeling. I remember the sound of my mum crying herself to sleep to this day, having worked a 14-hour shift, unsure how she was going to make ends meet.

“That was my reality and thankfully I had the talent to kick a ball around to pull us all out of that situation. Many can’t find that way out and aren’t being offered a helping hand to do so.

“Those most at risk aren’t in a position and don’t have the platform to scream help from the top of the rooftops but, for those ready to speak, my intention is to offer them the platform to do so, and for those who aren’t, I will continue to be their voice and act on their behalf.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Drama as Nigerian Man Slaps Girlfriend Over Cake-cutting at Party
Forum | 3 days ago

Drama as Nigerian Man Slaps Girlfriend Over Cake-cutting at Party

How Akwa Ibom Man Abandoned His Wife And 2-Year-Old Daughter In The Village To Live With His Side Chick In The Town
Forum | 3 days ago

How Akwa Ibom Man Abandoned His Wife And 2-Year-Old Daughter In The Village To Live With His Side Chick In The Town

Nigerian Man Arrested For Being In Possession Of Fake Naira Notes
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Man Arrested For Being In Possession Of Fake Naira Notes

EPL Title: Arsene Wenger reveals one advantage Arsenal have over Man City
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL Title: Arsene Wenger reveals one advantage Arsenal have over Man City