Harry Maguire Withdrawn From England Squad

Forum 3 years ago

Harry Maguire Withdrawn From England Squad

Harry Maguire has been withdrawn from England’s squad for next month’s Nations League matches after being found guilty of three charges by a Greek court.

Maguire had initially been named in England’s squad for the September fixtures, but later on Tuesday the Manchester United captain was given a 21-month suspended prison sentence after being found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery.

Maguire was convicted of all the charges against him by a court on the island of Syros. He was arrested with his brother and a friend after a fight broke out while he was on holiday in Mykonos over claims his sister was injected with a suspected “rape drug”. Manchester United said that the player would be appealing against the sentence.

“In light of this evening’s developments, I can confirm I have withdrawn Harry Maguire from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark,” Southgate said in a statement.

“As I said earlier today, I reserved the right to review the situation. Having spoken to Manchester United and the player, I have made this decision in the best interests of all parties and with consideration of the impact on our preparations for next week.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Harry Potter Star Tom Felton Offers Advice to Future TV Remake Cast
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Harry Potter Star Tom Felton Offers Advice to Future TV Remake Cast

EPL: Three key players missing in Man City’s squad for Aston Villa clash
Forum | 2 weeks ago

EPL: Three key players missing in Man City’s squad for Aston Villa clash

EPL: Harry Redknapp predicts outcome for Man City vs Arsenal, Liverpool vs Brighton
Forum | 2 weeks ago

EPL: Harry Redknapp predicts outcome for Man City vs Arsenal, Liverpool vs Brighton

He’s disappointed with lack of playing time in England team – Pochettino on Chelsea star
Forum | 2 weeks ago

He’s disappointed with lack of playing time in England team – Pochettino on Chelsea star