‘Arsenal’s Winning Culture Was Falling Apart’ – Cole Says

Forum 3 years ago

‘Arsenal’s Winning Culture Was Falling Apart’ – Cole Says

Ashley Cole says he could feel Arsenal’s winning culture falling apart before he left the Emirates Stadium for Chelsea.

The former England left-back, who retired from football in 2019, made the controversial switch from north to west London in 2006.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/ec07a9ad0caa988cea490e445be1aef6.jpg

Cole won two Premier Leagues and three FA Cups at Arsenal and went on to enjoy more success in blue, winning another league title, four FA Cups and the Champions League among other honours.

He left in controversial circumstances and remains an unpopular figure at Arsenal, but Cole says he had his reasons for wanting to leave.

“The transition in terms of being in a different group, environment and players was easy because at the time when I first started at Arsenal, we had a core – the Keowns, the Seamans, the Vieiras, the Henrys, the Adams’,” Cole told BBC Sport.

“When they started to leave, I felt there were holes in the culture of what it was that brought success. I just felt it was falling apart a bit, or there were gaps missing and they weren’t filled.

“So that transition in terms of finding myself in a different culture and the willingness and want to win, I went to Chelsea and I had that.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants Director Says ‘There Will Be Nudity’ in Animated Movie
Forum | 14 hours ago

The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants Director Says ‘There Will Be Nudity’ in Animated Movie

EPL: It’s not over yet – Declan Rice on title race after Arsenal defeat
Forum | 23 hours ago

EPL: It’s not over yet – Declan Rice on title race after Arsenal defeat

EPL: It’s gone 100% – Merson slams Arteta as Arsenal lose in title race
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: It’s gone 100% – Merson slams Arteta as Arsenal lose in title race

Fear Women - Nigerian Man Says As he Declares Girlfriend Wanted For Stealing
Forum | 1 day ago

Fear Women - Nigerian Man Says As he Declares Girlfriend Wanted For Stealing