'This is the strangest championship I have won' - PSG captain, Thiago Silva confirms his team has been crowned champions of France

Forum 3 years ago

'This is the strangest championship I have won' - PSG captain, Thiago Silva confirms his team has been crowned champions of France

Paris Saint-Germain captain, Thiago Silva has confirmed his team were crowned champions of France's Ligue 1 following the cancellation of the season due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/4b9d5c42f7b31e6d5fecc85f87e0e5eb.jpg

Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) made a decision this week to award the title for the 2019-20 campaign to PSG, as they currently lead with 12-points over Marseille with a game in hand.

In a statement published via club's official website, the Brazilian defender admitted that he agrees with the decision to cancel the league because the important thing is the health of the players.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/03b253245f3ad1c5eef0c96e9a358c24.jpg

He said: 'The most important thing is the health of the players, and of everyone.

'If the championship had resumed, it may be that a fortnight or a month after the virus is back. This avoids worsening the situation. I believe the right decision has been made. It's a little weird for us. It is the strangest championship I have won, but we are going to celebrate it anyway because we deserve to win it. '

He also wrote via Instagram page: 'In unimaginable circumstances, this title remains a source of great pride.

'I can only thank God for being the champion for the seventh time in eight years in Ligue 1. I would not have come this far without the support of my family, in particular my beloved wife and children, my teammates, all staff and fans'.

He continued: 'I dedicate this title to all the doctors and healthcare staff who are fighting Covid-19 around the world. They are our players today, who are fighting so that we can return to the fields and stadiums as soon as possible. '

The club, meanwhile, also dedicated the win 'to caregivers and everyday heroes.'

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Frankenstein: Guillermo del Toro Confirms Respected Horror Actor Has ‘Pivotal Cameo’ in Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

Frankenstein: Guillermo del Toro Confirms Respected Horror Actor Has ‘Pivotal Cameo’ in Movie

Jnr Pope: Man Who Claims To Be The Captain Of The Boat Gives Account Of What Allegedly Transpired Before And After The Accident
Forum | 2 days ago

Jnr Pope: Man Who Claims To Be The Captain Of The Boat Gives Account Of What Allegedly Transpired Before And After The Accident

Champions League: Man City vs Real Madrid at Etihad a final – Guardiola
Forum | 2 days ago

Champions League: Man City vs Real Madrid at Etihad a final – Guardiola

EPL: You’ll never be champions – Klopp slams Liverpool players after Palace defeat
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: You’ll never be champions – Klopp slams Liverpool players after Palace defeat