Peter Crouch reveals how his Tottenham career came to an abrupt end – ‘It’s a cut-throat business’

Forum 3 years ago

Peter Crouch reveals how his Tottenham career came to an abrupt end – ‘It’s a cut-throat business’

Peter Crouch says footballers always have an eye on transfer rumours and revealed how it was one transfer which brought his Tottenham career to an abrupt end.

The former striker was signed by Harry Redknapp in 2009 and enjoyed a good spell at Spurs, the highlight seeing him score the winning goal against Manchester City at the end of the 2009/10 season which confirmed the north London club’s qualification for the Champions League.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/7369b3b5f596d350e7c97e1ae21a6e71.jpg

He also got the winner in their last-16 triumph over AC Milan the following season in what was a memorable European campaign for Spurs.

However, Crouch’s stay at White Hart Lane came to an end just two years after signing as Spurs had brought in Emmanuel Adebayor on loan for the 2011/12 season.

Crouch then moved onto Stoke, which is where he was for eight years before finishing his career at Burnley in 2019.

In an interview with Paddy Power, Crouch revealed how it was made very clear to him that his services were no longer required when Adebayor arrived.

He said:
“I’ve been asked if players read about transfer rumours and worry about losing their place in the team. Well, the simple answer is yes.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/0ca17edfe5580c6e07a914fbfa8d9574.jpg

“The manager would try to reassure you, but I remember going in to see the boss a few times and asking ‘are you signing him, or him?’ because of the speculation.

“On more than one occasion the reply would be ‘no’, but then come transfer deadline day I’d be sitting next to the person they told me they weren’t signing!

“I guess it’s all part of the game, you’ve got to try and keep the squad happy. And then when they sign their man, that’s it – you’re out.

“I always remember back at Tottenham how it ended for me there. Harry said ‘we’re signing Adebayor, and there’s no place for both of you’, so I had to move on.

“It’s a cut-throat business, both ways. When a player is doing really well they say there is no loyalty when they want to move on, but the club are often as quick to get rid.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Peter Obi Knocks 2024 Budget, Calls For Focus On Citizens
Forum | 6 hours ago

Peter Obi Knocks 2024 Budget, Calls For Focus On Citizens' Welfare

Davido Reveals Only American Artist He Can ‘Disturb’ Himself To Collaborate With
Forum | 11 hours ago

Davido Reveals Only American Artist He Can ‘Disturb’ Himself To Collaborate With

Cute Video From Paul Okoye’s Reunion With Ex-wife on Son’s Birthday Melts Hearts
Forum | 11 hours ago

Cute Video From Paul Okoye’s Reunion With Ex-wife on Son’s Birthday Melts Hearts

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 1 day ago

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series