BREAKING: Oyo governor contracts coronavirus

Forum 4 years ago

BREAKING: Oyo governor contracts coronavirus

Seyi Makinde, governor of Oyo state, has tested positive for coronavirus and he is currently in self-isolation.

Makinde disclosed this in a series of tweets on Monday, saying he had designated a former chief medical director of the University College, Ibadan, as the head of COVID-19 task force while he recovers fully.

“I just received my COVID-19 confirmation test result. It is POSITIVE. I am asymptomatic and will continue to self-isolate,” he tweeted.

“I have designated Prof Temitope Alonge, former Chief Medical Director of the University College, Ibadan, as the Head of COVID-19 Task Force while I recover fully. Please continue to comply with all the directives from the COVID-19 Task Force. Stay home, stay safe.”

Makinde is the third governor to be affected by the disease which broke out in Wuhan, China, in December. Bala Mohammed, governor of Bauchi, and Nasir el-Rufai, his Kaduna counterpart, had earlier tested positive for the virus.

Two weeks ago, the governor was severely criticised over a PDP mega rally in Ibadan, Oyo capital. He had initially defended the choice of the state for the rally but later apologised over hosting such large gathering in the thick of the pandemic.

There are currently 111 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the country. Seven patients have recovered and discharged from the hospital, while two have died.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
No Regret Invading Oyo Govt House - Arrested Yoruba Nation Agitators Say (Photo)
Forum | 3 days ago

No Regret Invading Oyo Govt House - Arrested Yoruba Nation Agitators Say (Photo)

Sunday Igboho, Akintoye React To Agitators’ Invasion In Oyo Govt Secretariat
Forum | 4 days ago

Tension As Masked Armed Men Stormed Oyo Govt Secretariat
Forum | 4 days ago

Tension As Masked Armed Men Stormed Oyo Govt Secretariat

Forum | 4 days ago