I Sold Vegetables To Raise My School Fees – Comedian Acapella

Forum 8 years ago

I Sold Vegetables To Raise My School Fees – Comedian Acapella

MC Acapella is one of Nigeria’s top comedians. Born Benedict Chinedu Daniel, he registered his name in the industry after winning the third edition of AY’s Open Mic Challenge. He has been able to carve a niche for himself with his style of comedy devoid of vulgarity. Acapella, who thrilled the audience at the Nigerian Idol grand finale, created ‘Comedy Goes To Church’. In this chat with SAMUEL ABULUDE, the Imo State-born entertainer speaks on his rise to fame, the challenges he faced growing up and other titbits.

Why did you choose ‘Acapella’ as your stage name?
I started as a singer way back in 1999 and I was part of an acapella group made up of 5 boys. I was the group leader. So, basically that is where I got the name from. But I got fed up with music and decided to give comedy a chance, and today here I am. I never believed comedy would pay off until the first day I cracked a joke and I got paid; something which music never did for me and my group. That was how the group members parted ways. So, why won’t I stick with something that works for me? (laughs).

Aside comedy, what else do you do?
I do strictly comedy for now and radio presenting. I am also into event packaging.
Although I might decide to go into something else much later, for now, I am a complete entertainment man. Due to the huge success of my show, I get a lot of calls from people to help them package their events. It has been God all the way and I am grateful to Him for where He is taking me to; seriously I am.

I started cracking jokes in 2002, if we go by that calculation it will be 13 years now. Professionally I started in 2006, so next year I will be celebrating my 10 years on stage.

You usually have your shows in churches, why is that?
Firstly, it is because I still remember my roots; I still remember where I started from. God gave me my talent and God made me what I am today.
My mum taught me to always believe in God and never to forget where I started from. So doing it in the church is a way of saying ‘God I still remember where I started from’.

Would you say comedy is a viable business?
Wow! Comedy has paid me real good; no need to lie or hide, else I will sound ungrateful to God. Comedy is a good business; comedy has done me pretty well, super well if you ask me. Because of comedy, I don’t even know where my certificate is (laughs). Comedy has taken me round the nation, around Africa and even the white man’s land. I have travelled and met with great opportunities through comedy.
Comedy is my love, my darling that I cannot afford to cheat on; that is how much I love comedy.

With your busy schedule, how do you get to spend time with your girlfriend?
Hmmm! I think she would have to answer that herself. Oh yes I am in a relationship now. She has been very supportive, though she met me a comedian. She is very understanding; it is actually not easy to contain us because we are public servants, but then, I give it to her. These days I practically fly like I am from Edo State because of my job, but she has been there; so she has tried.

So, when are you planning to settle down?
I am getting married soon…on any of the Saturdays. I will be marrying a very beautiful girl! Don’t worry, when the date is fixed, I shall let you all know; but it is soon. (Laughs)

You are one of the few comedians that usually don’t repeat jokes, how do you get your jokes?
I think my spontaneity is ‘follow-come’. I really can’t tell how I do it. I am quick to respond to statements. Even when I was not a comedian, you can’t say a thing to me and get away with it without me giving you back. I get my jokes from conversations, my day to day activities. I make something out of nothing. I know that jokes that are based on realities are funnier than mere jokes. I get them from church, the streets, etc.; so, it is basically from my day to day activities.

What has fame changed about you?
Fame or comedy has really changed a lot about me. I used to be a person that is quick to react to things. For instance, when I am somewhere and I’m not comfortable with what is happening there, immediately, at that moment, I react. Fame has curtailed so many things about me because we now live for people. So, I try not to react to things hence they think I don’t know what I am doing. Some might even say, “Oh! Acapella you are a public person, why act like this? Now I hardly get angry easily and maybe it’s also because of how the media paints us.
Sometimes you get to hear things you never did and straight away it’s in the media. But we are used to it. So, I can say that fame has taught me patience.

[ads4]
What is the most upsetting thing you’ve ever heard reported about you?
That would be when the media published a false story alleging I impregnated a lady all because I was spotted with her at an eatery. I actually do not know where they got that from because I have not even shot a skit with a pregnant woman before. So, that was an annoying one. I didn’t react nor say a word about it though, because I knew the blogger was looking for traffic.

So you have never fathered a child out of wedlock?
No, never. I cannot impregnate a woman I am not legally married to because I can’t be a ‘baby daddy’. That seems to be the latest trend in the entertainment industry. I cannot do it although I don’t have problems with those in the category.

If there is anything you wish to change about yourself, what would that be?
I think it has to be my not being serious. I am hardly a serious person. I trust people easily and another thing is my marital status. My friends oppress me so much with that; so I need to change that so I can be like them.

Do you see any of your colleagues as a threat to your career?
No, not at all, we are all different. I rather see them as motivators; whether young or old, everybody is an inspiration to me. Our kind of business is such that we draw inspiration from others. So, I practically don’t have a competitor because we are all in the same business. I am happy comedians are now being recognised for endorsement.

Tell us about your childhood.
Growing up was rough. I can’t even tell you where I grew up; I grew up in different places. Some people were born with silver spoons, some with golden spoons, but for me, I was born with no spoon. So in the quest of looking for any spoon, I ended up growing up in different areas. But I can remember I lived in Ajegunle, Ejigbo, down to Olowora and also Oshodi; It was extremely rough and tough too. I had to sell some things then for my mum in order to go school. Even though government school was free, they still made us believe we had to pay for some things. I sold vegetables those days to aid in the payment of my school fees. My sisters too were selling stock fish because our mother had to share the wares amongst us.

So, you see that my early life was not nice, but then I still thank God because that served as the blueprint for me to get to where I am today and I am hopeful that God will take me to where he has prepared for me.

You entered the comedy scene through AY’s Open Mic Challenge, right?
Yes I did, and that was my first time doing anything comedy. I won at my first attempt and it was a good experience. AY is one person I respect a lot; I can say he gave me a voice in this industry. He is one of the stakeholders in the industry, so when I had the opportunity to work with him, I grabbed it with all my strength. It gave me leverage because then when I go out and people ask who I am, they would be told that I am one of AY’s boys; but this is me today. I am grateful to God.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
UNIPORT update on deadline for payment of school charges
Forum | 2 days ago

UNIPORT update on deadline for payment of school charges

Stakeholders Raise N135m To Bring Home Abandoned Remains Of Ex-Senate President, Wayas
Forum | 2 days ago

Stakeholders Raise N135m To Bring Home Abandoned Remains Of Ex-Senate President, Wayas

Don
Forum | 4 days ago

Don't Raise Your Kids With All Your Lifesavings - Dayo Amusa

AKSU extends payment of fees and registration deadline, 2023/2024
Forum | 4 days ago

AKSU extends payment of fees and registration deadline, 2023/2024