Lawmaker, 8 Others Killed By Insurgents In Gombe

Forum 9 years ago

Lawmaker, 8 Others Killed By Insurgents In Gombe

A member of Gombe State House of Assembly, Alhaji Umar Aminu (APC), and eight others are feared killed by insurgents on Saturday.

The insurgents who attacked Dukku and Nafada local government areas of the state were said to have killed the lawmaker representing Dukku South Constituency.

A source told newsmen that the insurgents, who came from Yobe, initially attacked Shole, Birin Bolewa and Birin Fulani towns of Nafada and later attacked Dukku. There was confusion in the two areas as some voters left the polling units but others later returned to be accredited, the source said.
[ads4]
According to the source, the insurgents killed three persons in Nafada Local Government Area, including a policeman and killed six persons in Dukku Local Government Area, including the legislator.

The source further said the insurgents left on the Dukku-Darazo road after the attack.

DSP Fwaje Atajiri, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, confirmed the report, adding that details of the incident would be given after investigations were completed. “There was an attack on the outskirts of Nafada in attempt to disrupt the elections.

A joint team of military and policemen promptly moved to Dukku and pushed the insurgents to the bush,” he said. Atajiri said elections were going on in the area and other areas of the state as the Special Forces were in control of the situation.
Reacting to the death of his colleague, member representing Akko North Constituency at the State House of Assembly, Alhaji Gidado Lawanti, described his death as unfortunate.

He described the deceased legislator as a friendly and nice person who went along with everybody. Lawanti prayed for the repose of the soul of the deceased. Aminu was fielded to re-contest the state assembly election on April 11.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Autopsy Begins On Remains Of Hotel Manager Allegedly Killed By Soldiers In Umuahia
Forum | 2 days ago

Autopsy Begins On Remains Of Hotel Manager Allegedly Killed By Soldiers In Umuahia

How My Son Was Killed By Vigilante Group – Bauchi District Head Reveals
Forum | 2 days ago

Kebbi Lawmaker Suspended Over Plot Against Assembly Leadership
Forum | 2 days ago

Kebbi Lawmaker Suspended Over Plot Against Assembly Leadership

Forum | 3 days ago