Official: Giovinco to join Toronto from Juventus

Forum 9 years ago

Official: Giovinco to join Toronto from Juventus

Sebastian Giovinco will move from Italian champions Juventus to Toronto FCat the end of the season after the MLS club confirmed the deal on Monday.

The 27-year-old forward came through the youth system at the Juventus Stadium but has struggled for regular playing time over the last two seasons.

Giovinco has made 130 appearances for Juve - scoring 20 goals and providing 23 assists - but will leave the club for Toronto at the end of the current campaign, when his current contract with Juve expires.

The 21-cap Italy man spoke of his excitement at agreeing the move, while stating his intention to finish strongly with Juve.

"I am excited to sign with Toronto FC today and look forward to joining the club this summer," he told his new club's official website.
[ads4]
"I have heard so many great things about Toronto over the years and I know that it will be a city that I feel right at home in.
"Until then, I have many things I still want to accomplish for Juventus and our fans. I will always give my heart and soul for Juve until I change shirts this summer."

Toronto completed the signing of United States forward Jozy Altidore from Sunderland last week - with Jermain Defoe going the opposite way.

Head coach Greg Vanney feels Giovinco can form an important part of Toronto's new-look side ahead of the MLS season, which gets under way in March.
"Sebastian Giovinco is a complete player with the ability to not only create but also to score goals as he's proven throughout his career in Italy," Vanney added.
"We are very excited for the 2015 season and adding another important piece to an already solid core group only makes us stronger."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama
Forum | 14 hours ago

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

Stolen Girl: Kate Beckinsale, Scott Eastwood, & More Join Thriller Movie

Under the Stars Cast: Toni Collette, Andy Garcia & More Join Rom-Com Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

Under the Stars Cast: Toni Collette, Andy Garcia & More Join Rom-Com Movie