Meet Woman Whose Left Hand Slaps And Punches Her [PHOTOS]

Forum 9 years ago

Meet Woman Whose Left Hand Slaps And Punches Her [PHOTOS]

Fifty five-year-old Karen Byrne lives in New Jersey. She had a surgery at 27 to control her epilepsy. Since then something bizarre started happening with her. Her left hand, and occasionally her left leg, behaved as if they had a mind of their own.

[ads4]

‘I’d light a cigarette, balance it on an ashtray, and then my left hand would reach forward and stub it out. It would take things out of my handbag and I wouldn’t realise so I would walk away. I lost a lot of things before I realised what was going on,’ she said. Not only that, her left hand would slap her suddenly or start unbuttoning her shirt.

She suffers from a strange neurological disorder called Alien Hand Syndrome. Although a person with Alien Hand syndrome has full s£nsat!on in the rogue hand, they are not in control of its movement as though it is not part of their body.

Researchers believe that this is a side effect of brain surgery or an injury to the area of the brain which connects the two halves of the brain. They found that in patients with this syndrome, the left and right hemisphere of their brains each is capable of its own independent will.

In Karen’s case, the right side of her brain refused to be dominated by the left and so her left hand seemed to be controlled by ‘alien intelligence’. Earlier there was no cure for this disorder but a study published in the journal Neurologist revealed that botulinum toxin injections may help minimize this syndrome.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
We Are Just Friends - American Woman Seen In Cosy Picture With Davido Clarifies
Forum | 2 days ago

We Are Just Friends - American Woman Seen In Cosy Picture With Davido Clarifies

They Never Left Each Other - Social Media Users React To Soma’s Comment On Angel
Forum | 3 days ago

They Never Left Each Other - Social Media Users React To Soma’s Comment On Angel's Photo Amid Breakup Rumours

Nigerian Woman Prepares Perfect Birthday Gift For Her Friend Who Loves To Gossip
Forum | 4 days ago

Nigerian Woman Prepares Perfect Birthday Gift For Her Friend Who Loves To Gossip

NDLEA Arrests Widow, Pregnant Woman Over N3.2M Counterfeit Cash, Lethal Illicit Substance
Forum | 4 days ago

NDLEA Arrests Widow, Pregnant Woman Over N3.2M Counterfeit Cash, Lethal Illicit Substance