"Allow ads" and Popups to avoid redirection of your browsers.

Conte supported my decision to play at Rio 2016 Olympics, says Mikel

Forum 7 years ago

Conte supported my decision to play at Rio 2016 Olympics, says Mikel

Rohr clarifies position on Chelsea managerSuper Eagles’ Captain, John Obi Mikel, has taken to his twitter handle to debunk reports credited to Coach Gernot Rohr that Chelsea Manager, Antonio Conte, is punishing him because he opted to play for Nigeria atthe Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Mikel, who was a regular starter for Chelsea under interim coach, Guus Hiddink, last season, has not played in a single league game for the Blues this season.

Disclosing that there is a mutual respect between Conte and himself, Mikel said in the statement that:“I’d like to clarify the recent media claims I have been punished by Chelsea FC for participating at the Rio 2016 Olympics are completely inaccurate.

“Unfortunately, comments made by Gernot Rohr before yesterday’s 3-1 win over Algeria were both mistranslated and taken out of contextby the Nigerian media, as English isn’t Mr. Rohr’s or much of the Nigerian media’s first language.“To be absolutely clear, Mr. Conte and Chelsea were always fully supportive of my captaincy of the Nigerian team at Rio.“The manager gave me his full blessing to participate at the Olympics,and even encouraged me to bring backthe gold medal – something I spoke tothe media about at the time.

“It goes without saying there is nothing but absolute respect between myself, the Nigerian national team and Chelsea FC, something that was demonstrated by Mr. Rohr’s recent visit to Cobham.

“My only focus now is on winning more silverware with Chelsea and getting Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup, two challenges I can’t wait to face in the coming months.”

“My only focus now is on winning more silverware with Chelsea and getting Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup, two challenges I can’t wait to face in the coming months.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Euro 2024: ‘They’re strong, play best football’ – Capello on country that’ll win tournament
Forum | 3 days ago

Euro 2024: ‘They’re strong, play best football’ – Capello on country that’ll win tournament

EPL: I’ve peace of mind now – Man United star reacts to club’s decision on Ten Hag
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: I’ve peace of mind now – Man United star reacts to club’s decision on Ten Hag

A24 Friday the 13th Series Wanted Charlize Theron to Play Jason’s Mother
Forum | 4 days ago

A24 Friday the 13th Series Wanted Charlize Theron to Play Jason’s Mother

Man showers praises on Sabinus over crypto coin, says it’s stable more than Davido’s
Forum | 4 days ago

Man showers praises on Sabinus over crypto coin, says it’s stable more than Davido’s