Reno Omokri threatens to drag Sahara Reporters to court over story

Forum 9 years ago

Reno Omokri threatens to drag Sahara Reporters to court over story

The Special Assistant to President Jonathan on New Media, Reno Omokri, has threaten to sue Sahara Reporters over a story they published yesterday titled 'Jonathan’s Aide, Omokri Burglarizes House in Delta, Carts Away N25, Million Meant For Buying Votes' where they accused Reno of leading armed men to a residence in Warri to cart away N25 million.

Reno's lawyers say this is false, malicious, baseless and have asked Sahara Reporters to publish an apology within 3 business days or face legal action. That's the house that was supposedly burglarized. See full statement from Reno's lawyers after the cut...

I refer to your story about my client entitled ‘Jonathan’s Aide, Omokri Burglarizes House in Delta, Carts Away N25, Million Meant For Buying Votes’ and do state that your story iscompletely false and that you did not investigate the facts before libelling my client, Mr. Reno Omokri. Be it known to you that Mr. Omokri did not lead armed men to a residence in Warri or any other place.
[ads4]
The last time my client visited Warri was in December of 2012. My client has been in Abuja for the past one week. On Tuesday the 10th of February 2015 when you falsely alleged that my client led armed men to burglarize a property in Warri, my client was at his office in Asokoro in the company of witnesses and received visitors, he also performed pastoral duties to members of the congregation of a local church over which he is a pastor. In the weeks before then my clients had either been in Abuja or out of the country ministering and attending to his family. At no time in the last two years has my client travelled to Warri, a fact which is provable.

Therefore, we are at a loss as to how you came about your story that my client led armed men to burglarize a property in Warri. Your website may be a soft sell medium, but that does not take away your responsibility to cross check facts via investigation before going to press. Please be advised that we demand that you publish an apology within 3 Business Days or my client will institute libel proceedings against you in New York State from where you operate to clear his name of the false allegations you made against him on your site.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Court Grants Ex-CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele N50m Bail
Forum | 3 days ago

Court Grants Ex-CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele N50m Bail

Why North, Southwest Will Continue To Control Political Power In Nigeria – Reno Omokri Says
Forum | 3 days ago

Why North, Southwest Will Continue To Control Political Power In Nigeria – Reno Omokri Says

Impeachment: Court To Hear Shaibu’s Suit Against Assembly, Others April 19
Forum | 3 days ago

Impeachment: Court To Hear Shaibu’s Suit Against Assembly, Others April 19

Court Clears Ex-South African President, Jacob Zuma To Contest The Upcoming Election
Forum | 5 days ago

Court Clears Ex-South African President, Jacob Zuma To Contest The Upcoming Election