How the Brazil players reacted to the 7-1

Forum 7 years ago

How the Brazil players reacted to the 7-1

With the Selecao hosting Germany once again this weekend in the Olympic final, Brasil Global Tour looks back at that fateful night from World Cup 2014It was a scoreline so emphatic, so historic, that it has ever since been referred to simply as that.

'The 7-1’ shocked the football world. Hosts Brazil arrived at World Cup 2014 as favourites, but were blown away by a rampant Germany in the semi-final.

And as fate would have it, the two meet again on Saturday. For the second time in two years, Brazil host Germany at a major international competition on home soil.

So Brazilians have been casting their mind back to that fateful night. It was a result that rocked their football to its very core.

Below, Brasil Global Tour look back at how the players reacted on what was a historic night for all the wrong reasons.

LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI

"Today was the worse day of my life - but life goes on. My message for the Brazilian people and fans is that we tried to do what we could do, our best, versus a great team. I am responsible for this catastrophic result. I made the choices. I was responsible. We ask for forgiveness. To the people, please excuse us for this negative mistake.”

DAVID LUIZ

"Apologies to everybody, apologies to all the Brazilian people.I just wanted to see my people smile. We all know how important it was for me to see all of Brazil be happy, at least because of football. They were better than us. They prepared better. They played better. It's a very sad day, but it's also a day from which to learn."

JULIO CESAR

Honestly, it's hard to explain. You can't explain the inexplicable. It was beautiful up to here. I thank the Brazilian people and the fans are to be congratulated for all the support they gave us.
The players ...are going to apologise but they [Germany] were strong, and we have to acknowledge that. After the first goal we just had a blackout, nobody expected it. We will go home, hug our families. And thank the fans. We got close, but we couldn't, that's it."

FERNANDINHO

“I’m not sure how long it will take for me to get over this. This pain is big. Big. All we can say is sorry to the people [of Brazil]. They wanted a good result, a win, the title, but we lost in the semi-final and all we can do is say sorry for that. It was unbelievable. Incredible things happened. We can try to explain for the rest of our lives, but we cannot find the words. I’ve never experienced anything like that in my life."

WILLIAN

“It was an inexplicable day for all of us. It’s one of those crazy stories of football. Everything went right for Germany and wrong for us. Our goal was to make it to the final and go for the title. Unfortunately, we couldn’t do it. But every player here has quality, all 11 that Felipão [manager Luiz Felipe Scolari] put out there have quality. Nothing went our way, but now we have to raise our heads because life goes on.”

DANI ALVES

"We have failed our people. I don’t believe it is a stain on our careers. It won’t be stained by a single match, or by the elimination. Our fight, and where we reached, nothing can stain this. Football isn’t just about one match. Competitions are made to compete, to try to go as far as you can. We were eliminated today, but in this group there are only champions.”

FRED

"It's the worst defeat of my career. We made the worst game of our lives and Germany made the best of their lives. It is a huge disappointment because it's certainly the worst defeat of all our careers. It is a moment of great sadness and disappointment, but we'll have to hold on to the people who will help us in these difficult times we are going through now. It is a scar that will forever live in all of our lives, but we will have to seek a higher power to pass such adversity."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
EPL: You’ll never be champions – Klopp slams Liverpool players after Palace defeat
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: You’ll never be champions – Klopp slams Liverpool players after Palace defeat

EPL: Two Arsenal players miss final training ahead of Aston Villa clash
Forum | 5 days ago

EPL: Two Arsenal players miss final training ahead of Aston Villa clash

EPL: 11 Chelsea players miss training ahead of Everton clash
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: 11 Chelsea players miss training ahead of Everton clash

How Ex-Abia Governor, Orji Kalu Reacted To The Death Of Former Minister, Ogbannaya Onu
Forum | 1 week ago

How Ex-Abia Governor, Orji Kalu Reacted To The Death Of Former Minister, Ogbannaya Onu