Man City close in on Bravo

Forum 7 years ago

Man City close in on Bravo

The Blues kept a close eye on the Chilean during this summer's Copa America Centenario and are confident of reaching a deal after the conclusion of the Spanish Supercopa

Manchester City are closing in on a deal for Barcelona goalkeeper Claudio Bravo,Goal understands.

The two clubs are yet to agree a fee for the Chile international but talks are expected to intensify following the conclusion of the Spanish Supercopa on Wednesday.

Bravo will play in Sunday's first leg against Sevilla thanks to an injury to Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, who is himself seeking assurances that he will be first choice at Camp Nou this season.

City had shown their interest in Ter Stegen earlier this year, but Barca were insistent that any club would have to pay up his release clause, which stands at around £57 million, in full.

The Blues have since turned their attentions to Bravo, who is likely to see less playing time at Camp Nou this season as the Catalan outfit move to assure Ter Stegen that he is their long-term No.1.
It is thought Barca will not stick to Bravo's release clause, worth roughly £36m, and City are hopeful they can pay around half that amount.
City kept a close eye on Bravo during this summer's Copa America Centenario, where he overcame a difficult group stage to claim the Golden Glove award for the best goalkeeper after helping his country win the competition for the second consecutive year.

The 33-year-old is keen to link up with Guardiola and it is thought that personal terms have already been agreed.

The pursuit of Bravo could spell trouble for Joe Hart, who was left out of Guardiola's starting line-up for the Premier League opener against Sunderland on Saturday.

Willy Caballero was preferred to Hart, with Guardiola citing his ability to build up play from the back as well as his "personality", and the arrival of Bravo would further complicate the England goalkeeper's situation.

Guardiola has publicy insisted that Hart may yet win back his place in goal, but it is understood that the new City boss has long held doubts about the 29-year-old and highlighted a new goalkeeper as a priority this summer.

"Today I needed [Caballero] because I thought Sunderland would play high pressing, and Willy had more training sessions than Joe about our build-up," Guardiola said on Saturday.

"We spent a lot, a lot of time working two-against-one, three-against-two, four-against-three, using the goalkeeper, but it doesn't mean that Joe cannot do that. No. I'm not talking about that. Just today, I decide for that reason.

"I have a lot of respect for Joe, I have a lot of respect for his career, I know how good a goalkeeper he is, but today I decide for Willy, that's all."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
New Alien: Romulus Image Teases Close Look at Xenomorph
Forum | 2 days ago

New Alien: Romulus Image Teases Close Look at Xenomorph

Transfer: Why Man United did not want to sell Ronaldo to Real Madrid
Forum | 2 days ago

Transfer: Why Man United did not want to sell Ronaldo to Real Madrid

Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery
Forum | 3 days ago

Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery