Celebrated Japan Billionaire Promises Nigeria Team Big Reward To Win Olympic Gold

Forum 7 years ago

Celebrated Japan Billionaire Promises Nigeria Team Big Reward To Win Olympic Gold

A benefactor has promised a bonus of $30,000 to each Nigerian player should they win gold at the Rio 2016 men's Olympic football tournament in Brazil.

Celebrated Japanese plastic surgeon Katsuya Takasu announced his desire to reward the 1996 Olympic football champions, along with $20,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze after hearing about their financial woes.

"I read about the financial problems affecting the team and I felt the need to make a big contribution," Takasu told BBC Sport.

"I am not doing this for media attention but to motivate a team with an indomitable spirit. I fell in love with the Nigerian team because despite all these problems they are in the quarter-finals of the Olympics.

"Whether they win or not, I will still donate something to help alleviate the challenges in paying their bonuses and allowances."

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) were impressed by this gesture but are being careful.

"I have been in direct contact with Mr Takasu and impressed by his gesture," NFF vice-president Seyi Akinwunmi told BBC Sport.

"But we need not get carried away because the integrity of the country is at stake.

"First we must check about this. Significantly, the team has an important game and we need to focus on that."

Culled from BBC

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Bobrisky: Nigeria Has Become Dumping Ground For A Lot Of Things - Foluke Daramola
Forum | 21 hours ago

Bobrisky: Nigeria Has Become Dumping Ground For A Lot Of Things - Foluke Daramola

EPL: Iwobi equals Kanu’s assist record in Fulham’s win at West Ham
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Iwobi equals Kanu’s assist record in Fulham’s win at West Ham

Oliseh names Super Eagles player that will win AFCON for Nigeria
Forum | 1 day ago

Oliseh names Super Eagles player that will win AFCON for Nigeria

Nigerian Woman Prepares Perfect Birthday Gift For Her Friend Who Loves To Gossip
Forum | 1 day ago

Nigerian Woman Prepares Perfect Birthday Gift For Her Friend Who Loves To Gossip