We didn’t reject Mikel Obi as Team Nigeria captain – NOC

Forum 7 years ago

We didn’t reject Mikel Obi as Team Nigeria captain – NOC

The Secretary-General of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Tunde Popoola, has insisted that they are in full support of John Mikel Obi, as captain of Team Nigeria to the 2016 Olympics.
Obi, was named Captain of Team Nigeria on Monday night, while table tennis star, Funke Oshonaike, is the Assistant Team Captain.

Popoola made it clear that there was never a time that the NOC deny or reject Mikel Obi as Captain of Team Nigeria.

He said: “I did not tell the press that Mikel is not the Captain of Team Nigeria.

“I told the media that their stories were capable of causing distraction and disunity among athletes.

“Mikel is a Nigerian athlete and likewise Segun Toriola, who you all thought deserved to be the Captain.

“It doesn’t matter who is the captain.

“They are both Nigerian athletes and are in camp for a common purpose, which is to make Nigeria proud at the Olympic Games in Rio.

“I want to plead with sports writers to desist from writing stories capable of causing disaffection and disharmony in the Nigerian camp.

“Let us project our athletes and the country positively to the outside world.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
New Captain America: Brave New World Image Previews Sam Wilson’s Suit
Forum | 18 hours ago

New Captain America: Brave New World Image Previews Sam Wilson’s Suit

Nigerian Actors, Yinka Quadri And Ogogo Finally Reconcile, ‘Hug It Out’ After Feuding For Years
Forum | 1 day ago

Nigerian Actors, Yinka Quadri And Ogogo Finally Reconcile, ‘Hug It Out’ After Feuding For Years

Nigerian Govt Applying Quasi-Subsidy on Fuel Price – TUC President, Osifo
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerian Govt Applying Quasi-Subsidy on Fuel Price – TUC President, Osifo

The Killers Of Customs Officer Hiding In Katsina Villages - Nigeria Customs Service Claims
Forum | 2 days ago

The Killers Of Customs Officer Hiding In Katsina Villages - Nigeria Customs Service Claims