"Allow ads" and Popups to avoid redirection of your browsers.

Grujic on Liverpool advice from rivals

Forum 7 years ago

Grujic on Liverpool advice from rivals

The Serbian starlet sought the counsel of his countrymen when the Reds made a move for him, and was advised to snatch the chance to join "a big, big club"

Marko Grujic has revealed he received a triple recommendation to sign for Liverpool, with Nemanja Matic, Aleksandar Kolarov and Lazar Markovic telling him it was an opportunity he had to seize.

The 20-year-old, recruited from Red Star Belgrade for £5.1 million, was Jurgen Klopp’s first purchase as Reds boss. And before inking his five-year deal in January, the Serbian starlet sought the counsel of his countrymen.

Chelsea midfielder Matic, and Manchester City defender Kolarov, urged Grujic to snatch the chance to join Liverpool.

The pair’s endorsement was solidified by the advice of Markovic, who was well placed to guide the towering talent as he made the switch to Anfield at the same age.

“When I first heard Liverpool wanted me, I called Lazar, Nemanja and Aleksandar Kolarov and they all told me ‘you need to sign for them'.

“Three different players all saying the same things and two who play for big rivals, it shows they know what Liverpool means in European football,” Grujic explained after a tactical session ahead of the International Champions Cup challenge against Chelsea.

The encounter presents the midfielder with the possibility to line up against Matic, whom he counts as his friend and idol.

“I haven’t spoken to Nemanja since the new coach came in at Chelsea, but I know he has great qualities,” Grujic said.

“He started at the same club as me - Red Star Belgrade - and is one of the key players for the national team. He plays in the same position as me and of course I would like to play together as his partner in the middle of the pitch for Serbia.

“We spoke a lot during national camps about English football, other players in the Premier League and he told me very positive things.”

On Matic’s Liverpool-specific advice, Grujic added: “He said it’s faster and stronger football, that I need to be adapt and I need to wait some months before I get my chance. He said when I get it, to make sure I take it.

“He said that it’s a big, big club - one of the biggest in England.”

Grujic, who has already scored twice in pre-season, anticipates a testing clash at the Rose Bowl.

“The first game comes against such a strong team and I’ve heard it is 10 degrees hotter in Los Angeles, so it will be harder in that heat, but it will be good as part of our preparations,” he said.

The box-to-box operator has enjoyed Liverpool’s stay in California as they sharpen up for the new season.

“It’s my first time here in America, and everything at the start has been nice," he said.
“We have a good pitch, a good hotel and good weather so we can prepare well for the Premier League.

“First we have three tough games against strong rivals here in the USA and I think it will be a great test to see what we can do in this moment.”

Grujic has not been surprised to see supporters camping outside the club’s training sessions, given their status as a global giant, revealing he got swamped by fans back home during the Europa League final against Sevilla in May.

“Liverpool are very popular over the world, and it’s like that in Serbia,” he said.

“When it was the Europa League final, I went to watch it at a bar in Serbia and Liverpool fans all crowded around me and it was like 2000 of them!
“In Serbia, after Red Star and Partizan, people love Liverpool so much.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Veekee James offers advice to fellow designers amidst AMVCA outfit controversy
Forum | 19 hours ago

Veekee James offers advice to fellow designers amidst AMVCA outfit controversy

EPL: Liverpool officially out of title race after Man City thrash Fulham
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Liverpool officially out of title race after Man City thrash Fulham

EPL: Salah equals Wayne Rooney’s record after Liverpool beat Tottenham
Forum | 1 week ago