Rooney on his most memorable goal

Forum 7 years ago

Rooney on his most memorable goal

The captain's acrobatic bicycle kick flew past Joe Hart to help the Red Devils to a 2-1 derby win back in 2011 but he says it still isn't the strike he looks back on most fondly

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has revealed what he believes is his most memorable strike and, perhaps surprisingly, it's not the derby winner from the 2010-2011 campaign.

The goal, that saw the England forward acrobatically bicycle kick Nani's cross into the top corner past a helpless Joe Hart, sealed a 2-1 win and would help propel United to the title that season.

But it's not the strike that Rooney feels is his most memorable, with the volleyed effort from distance against Newcastle United in 2005 also not at the top of the list.
It's actually the former Everton striker's penalty against Blackburn Rovers, that delivered the championship for the Red Devils in 2011, with Rooney admitting that the pressure of the strike made it particularly sweet to find the net.

In a Q&A during United's China tour, Rooney said: "The overhead kick [against City] is the best one. It was 1-1, 10-15 minutes to go so it was the winning goal in the derby so that was a great feeling and it won us the game. Then we went on to win the league.

"But I think the most memorable one was Blackburn away, the penalty late on. If I scored we won the league. So it was pressure taking it, there was a big delay before I took it so I had to try and keep myself calm and thankfully I scored and we won the league. That was a moment.

There was huge pressure but I got through it and it was a really memorable one."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Cristiano Ronaldo scores 50th goal against Al-Wehda
Forum | 3 hours ago

Cristiano Ronaldo scores 50th goal against Al-Wehda

EPL: ‘Not by goal difference’ – Guardiola on how City will win title ahead of Arsenal
Forum | 3 hours ago

EPL: ‘Not by goal difference’ – Guardiola on how City will win title ahead of Arsenal

Finidi backs Enyimba forward Mbaoma to end goal drought
Forum | 1 week ago

Finidi backs Enyimba forward Mbaoma to end goal drought

EPL: Frank Onyeka relishes first Premier League goal for Brentford
Forum | 2 weeks ago

EPL: Frank Onyeka relishes first Premier League goal for Brentford