Atletico Fans Will Never Forgive De Gea If He Joins R. Madrid - Ujfalusi

Forum 8 years ago

Atletico Fans Will Never Forgive De Gea If He Joins R. Madrid - Ujfalusi

The ex-Rojiblancos defender says the goalkeeper's willingness to ignore his roots and move to Santiago Bernabeu will make him extremely unpopular

Former Atletico Madrid defender Tomas Ujfalusi believes fans would take a move by club youth product David de Geato Real Madrid as a serious sign of betrayal.

De Gea is heavily tipped to join Madrid this summer from Manchester United, despite having joined the Rojiblancos at the age of just 13 and going on to win the Europa League and European Super Cup with the first team.

And the reports have prompted the goalkeeper's former team-mate Ujfalusi to declare his surprise, stating the 24-year-old's lack of loyalty would not go down well across the city.

"No, no, no. They are not going to forgive him [if he moves to Real Madrid], for sure," the retired Czech Republic international, who represented Atletico from 2008 to 2011, told the Daily Mail.

"It's also a surprise for me because he's an Atletico Madrid fan – when he was young his heart was with Atletico Madrid. It's not going to be easy for him to make this decision."

Nevertheless, Ujfalusi insists the Spaniard - whom he believes to be the best in England - is ready to take the next step in his career after a season in which he was Manchester United's standout performer.

"I have to say De Gea [is better than Arsenal keeper Petr Cech and Chelsea counterpart Thibaut Courtois]," he continued. "I was working with him for more than two years, and he was playing really well.

"The beginning in Manchester United wasn't so easy for him, but I think now he' s back in his old form and playing very well."

Real Madrid have been in hot pursuit of De Gea as a replacement for captain Iker Casillas, who has been inconsistent between the posts and guilty of several high-profile blunders since being benched by Jose Mourinho in 2013.

United are reluctant to let go of their shot-stopper despite him only having a year remaining on his contract, however, and are thought to be pursuing Sergio Ramos as a makeweight in any potential deal.
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Shogun Director Joins The Loney Television Series
Forum | 14 hours ago

Shogun Director Joins The Loney Television Series

UCL: Why Real Madrid are dominating Champions League – Thierry Henry
Forum | 1 day ago

UCL: Why Real Madrid are dominating Champions League – Thierry Henry

UCL: He made it easy – Vinicius Jr hails Real Madrid star after scoring 2 against Bayern
Forum | 1 day ago

UCL: He made it easy – Vinicius Jr hails Real Madrid star after scoring 2 against Bayern

UCL: Absolutely brilliant – Ancelotti singles out 2 Real Madrid stars after 2-2 draw with Bayern
Forum | 1 day ago

UCL: Absolutely brilliant – Ancelotti singles out 2 Real Madrid stars after 2-2 draw with Bayern