Van Persie lucky I didn't drop him - Van Gaal

Forum 9 years ago

Van Persie lucky I didn't drop him - Van Gaal

The Netherlands international is the club's top scorer this season with six goals but only kept his place in the team earlier this season due to a lack of alternatives

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says Robin van Persie is lucky not to have been dropped after a slow start to the season.

Van Persie was back to his best on Monday as United beat Southampton 2-1, scoring both of the Red Devils' goals.

The 31-year-old is currently United’s top scorer this season with six goals, but Van Gaal says only a lack of alternatives saved him from losing his place in the starting XI as he had scored just once in the five league games prior to the match against Ronalk Koeman's side.

"There was a time when Robin wasn’t playing very well, but you have to compare what you have with other players who might take his place," Van Gaal told reporters.

"He was a lucky boy because at that moment Radamel Falcao was injured and I had to compare him with Wayne Rooney and James Wilson.

"Rooney I can play in a lot of other positions and Wilson is still a young talent still proving himself.

"I have always played with two strikers, only three or four times with one, so Robin was lucky.
[ads4]
"I have a lot of confidence in him though, even when he is not at his best, because I have explained what I like in a striker.

"I look for players who do not just score goals but provide an attacking point, linking with other players and able to see the third man as well.

"Van Persie is one of the best strikers around at that."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Drop: Violett Beane, Jacob Robinson Join Cast of Blumhouse Thriller
Forum | 1 week ago

Drop: Violett Beane, Jacob Robinson Join Cast of Blumhouse Thriller

EPL: Man City cannot drop points – Guardiola on title race ahead of Luton clash
Forum | 2 weeks ago

EPL: Man City cannot drop points – Guardiola on title race ahead of Luton clash

Why I had to drop out of University – Beverly Osu opens up
Forum | 2 weeks ago