Attacks on pipeline are affecting women, children – Ita-Giwa begs Niger Delta militants

Forum 7 years ago

Attacks on pipeline are affecting women, children – Ita-Giwa begs Niger Delta militants

Former Presidential Adviser on National Assembly Matters, Senator Florence Ita-Giwa, has appealed to militants in the Niger Delta region to embrace dialogue as a panacea to the crises bedeviling the region.

In a statement she released on Monday, the political leader of the Bakassi people stressed that only dialogue can cushion the effect of pipeline vandalism on women, the elderly and children of the oil rich region.

Ita-Giwa noted that pipeline vandalism in the region is also increasing the threat of climate change and of course, women and children are particularly the most vulnerable to the impact of climate change.

The statement reads in part, ”As a mother and leader from the Niger Delta, I am appealing to my people to embrace dialogue as a way of ending the restiveness in the region.

“The increasing number of mortality rate is alarming as we are losing pregnant women, children on daily basis due to environmental pollution compounded by environmental degradation from burst pipelines.

“I am also calling on government to ensure the protection of the lives of the people who are already suffering from untold hardships.”

This is coming at a time when a National Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Kiagbodo Clark, had described militant groups behind the recent attacks on oil and gas installations across the region as criminals and enemies of the Niger Delta people.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Abuja barber begs for funds after missing chance with Davido
Forum | 3 hours ago

Abuja barber begs for funds after missing chance with Davido

May Edochie Reacts as Rita Edochie Shades Women Who Snatch People’s Husbands
Forum | 2 days ago

May Edochie Reacts as Rita Edochie Shades Women Who Snatch People’s Husbands

Police Gives Update On Nigerian Singer Abducted By Gunmen In Delta State
Forum | 2 days ago

Police Gives Update On Nigerian Singer Abducted By Gunmen In Delta State

Nigerian Actors, Yinka Quadri And Ogogo Finally Reconcile, ‘Hug It Out’ After Feuding For Years
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Actors, Yinka Quadri And Ogogo Finally Reconcile, ‘Hug It Out’ After Feuding For Years