Obama Refuses To Send Ebola Drug To Africa

Forum 9 years ago

Obama Refuses To Send Ebola Drug To Africa

United States of America President Barack Obama yesterday came out and said that the Ebola experimental drug won’t be sent to Africa because it’s too early.

Obama went ahead and said that the countries affected by the virus should concentrated on building a “strong public infrastructure,” adding: “I think we have to let the science guide us. And I don’t think all the information is in on whether this drug is helpful.”

America had used the experimental drug to cure two Americans who were infected with the virus, while almost 1000 Africans have perished from the epidemic.

Obama was then questioned, if the drug was to be successful, would he immediately send it to Africa, he said: “I think it’s premature for me to say that because I don’t have enough information. I don’t have enough data right now to offer an opinion on that.”

Obama then went on to explain more about the disease, he said: “Ebola is not an airborne disease. This is one that can be controlled and contained very effectively if we use the right protocols. The countries affected are the first to admit that what’s happened here is the public health systems have been overwhelmed.

“They weren’t able to identify and then isolate cases quickly enough. As a consequence, it spread more rapidly than has been typical with the periodic Ebola outbreaks that occurred previously,” he added.

WHO yesterday revealed that 932 people have died from the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria.

Since the beginning of the year, 1711 cases have been confirmed. The virus is said to spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected human and its symptoms include fever, muscle aches, red eyes, diarrhea, vomiting and bleeding.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
NDLEA Has Sent Message To Drug Cartels With 50,901 Arrests, 9,034 Convictions – Marwa
Forum | 3 days ago

NDLEA Has Sent Message To Drug Cartels With 50,901 Arrests, 9,034 Convictions – Marwa

India
Forum | 5 days ago

India's Narcotics Control Bureau Arrests Alleged Nigerian Drug Kingpin And His Wife, Freezes Their Assets

NDLEA Intercepts Illicit Drug Consignments In Lagos, Kano, Others; Arrests Suspected Drug Mules
Forum | 1 week ago

NDLEA Intercepts Illicit Drug Consignments In Lagos, Kano, Others; Arrests Suspected Drug Mules

NAFDAC Nabs Drug Hawkers, Confiscates N50m Illegal Drugs In Lagos Raid
Forum | 1 week ago

NAFDAC Nabs Drug Hawkers, Confiscates N50m Illegal Drugs In Lagos Raid