Missing Chibok Girls: Government, Boko Haram Resume Talks

Forum 9 years ago

Missing Chibok Girls: Government, Boko Haram Resume Talks

The Federal Government is reportedly close to a deal with the dreaded Boko Haram sect on release of the Chibok school girls who were abducted over three months ago.

According to report, in the last 14 days, there’s been intense talks with the insurgents, though the name the groups and personalities involved in the talks were not revealed.

According to one of the facilitators, who pleaded anonymity because he is not authorised to talk to the media, all parties are optimistic that something positive will be achieved soon, adding that though the government is yet to make up its mind, a swap of the girls with some detained Boko Haram members is “very strong” on the cards.

In what he termed the ‘new deal’, he said, "We are inching to a reasonable agreement on the release of the Chibok girls. The mediators are really sincere to end the hostage of the girls. There will be something positive soon. All the parties are hopeful. That was why the Council of State was optimistic about approach to the rescue of the Chibok girls by the government."
[ads4]

Also confirming the development, a military source said the military hierarchy is aware that some mediators are kind of negotiating with the sect, adding that though the government is flowing with the insurgents, they are being cautious.

The source said, "The government did not reject the offer to have talks with representatives of the insurgents; it is only being careful because no one is sure of the commitment of Boko Haram leadership to the truce.

"The mediators have been making some demands like go and put certain things in place or a number of vehicles in some places or some logistics for the release of the girls. The government cannot just jump at the logistics without getting the right signal that the insurgents are sincere."

Though some people are still insisting no girls were abducted, the Presidential Fact-Finding Committee on the abduction of Chibok girls, submitted their findings last month to President Jonathan, saying the abduction was real and 276 girls were abducted while 57 escaped and reunited with their families.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish
Forum | 1 day ago

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish

Two Boko Haram Bomb Experts Surrender In Borno
Forum | 3 days ago

Two Boko Haram Bomb Experts Surrender In Borno

EPL: Arteta reacts to Cole Palmer possibly missing Arsenal vs Chelsea
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Arteta reacts to Cole Palmer possibly missing Arsenal vs Chelsea