Olusegun Obasanjo’s Fight Against Corruption Was “Exceptional” – Says Nuhu Ribadu

Forum 7 years ago

Olusegun Obasanjo’s Fight Against Corruption Was “Exceptional” – Says Nuhu Ribadu

Former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Nuhu Ribadu, has said the fight against corruption during past-president Olusegun Obasanjo’s tenure was “exceptional”. How?

Nuhu believes since ninety-percent of those convicted were PDP members, Obasanjo had done a good job.

Weren’t they all from the same PDP-party again?

Speaking in an interview with The Punch, Nuhu Ribadu said, “As of the time we did the work, even though it was a PDP government, ninety percent of those we charged to court were PDP members.”

Ribadu continued:-

“We did not hide anything from the public. People who tried but failed to corrupt or blackmail someone, would always say something; it is left for Nigerians to look at it.”

“There is nowhere in the world that you will fight corruption that people will not complain. They will always look for a reason to say something.” 55-year-old Nuhu stated. “In our own case, it was exceptional because most of them were PDP members and they were close to the president.”

He also shared words concerning allegations that Obasanjo had tried to bribe his way into a third term in office.

“In the first instance, third term did not work. There was no law that was passed. The third term did not work for us to say this or that person was bribed and that’s why they passed the law or allowed third term.” The author of My Story, My Vision declared.

He continued, “When you talk of third term’s money, first and foremost, as a law enforcement agency you have to first look at what is going on. Some of the former governors that we charged to court, for example, is the governor of Jigawa (Saminu Turaki).”

“There were a couple of other cases that I was building before I was removed from the EFCC. The money was put in preparation for it (third term) but we stopped it.” He added. “We went after the bankers and blocked accounts even before anything happened.”

“I hope that those who said they were given money will come out and give details so that people will be prosecuted for it. This will help law enforcement agents to do their work; criminal cases don’t have time limits.” Nuhu concluded.

We hope those who received third-term bribery will speak up too.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Xxssive Alleges That Wizkid Might Have Been Paid to Start Fight With Davido
Forum | 4 days ago

Xxssive Alleges That Wizkid Might Have Been Paid to Start Fight With Davido

Female Artists Are Too Boring, They Don
Forum | 6 days ago

Female Artists Are Too Boring, They Don't Fight - Teni

Tron: Ares Visual Effects Will ‘Push Forward What Can Be Done,’ Says Cameron Monaghan
Forum | 6 days ago

Tron: Ares Visual Effects Will ‘Push Forward What Can Be Done,’ Says Cameron Monaghan

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 1 week ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel