14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings

Forum 6 years ago

14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings

Nigerians would always be peculiar people.Thats what makes the country fun and distracts us from all the wahala .

If you are coming to Nigeria or Lagos for the first time , this would be very helpful.

Here are some slangs we won’t stop saying anytime soon .

Go Slow
This is the way we say “traffic jam” in Naija . I dey inside go slow .

Drop
This has two meanings, it means hailing a taxi and riding in it alone to your destination. It also means alighting from a bus or taxi.

Fockanizer
Well, nothing much to say here, its Vulcanizer people .

Rewire
“Rewire” is actually an action , the person doing the rewiring should be called an electrician , not a rewire, my country pipo !.

Bomber
Its “bumper” folks , haha .

Men In Black
This refers to the police , the popo , the Nigerian Police Force .

Agbero
This word doesnt really mean something abusive , it can be translated as “Carrier of people /carrier of crowd” .But the madness of the agberos has made the word abusive.So it means conductors, tax collectors , infact any tout and their species .

Alaye
From my little understanding of Yoruba , alaye means “the living” “alive” “lively” ,but the way its used is similar to the way Americans call their friends “nigga” or “brah” or “bro” .

Gberaa
It means “move” or “move fast” or “drive” .

Figo
Danfo slang for 500 Naira .I am still confused how they coined this name .

Shandi/Muri
Danfo slang for 20 Naira . Muri-> Muritala Mohammed on the note

Waso/Wazo
Danfo slang for 50 Naira .Coined from two out of the three major ethnic group’s intepretation of “come” .

Wa= Yoruba

Zo=Hausa

Faiba/Fiber
Danfo slang for 10 Naira

Cut Your Hand
This one cracks me up every time .It means “turn the steering wheel” .

Add Yours

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Man Bags Nine Months For Assaulting Lagos Govt Official Who Arrested Him for Failing to Use a Pedestrian Bridge
Forum | 23 hours ago

Man Bags Nine Months For Assaulting Lagos Govt Official Who Arrested Him for Failing to Use a Pedestrian Bridge

Lagos Govt Arrests 25 Suspected Miscreants, Including Lebanese Squatting Under Bridges
Forum | 1 day ago

Lagos Govt Arrests 25 Suspected Miscreants, Including Lebanese Squatting Under Bridges

Family Kicks, Accuses Lagos Hospital Of Negligence, Incompetence As Mother, Son Die During Childbirth
Forum | 3 days ago

Family Kicks, Accuses Lagos Hospital Of Negligence, Incompetence As Mother, Son Die During Childbirth

Cement-Laden Truck, Commercial Bus Collide On Lagos Bridge
Forum | 3 days ago

Cement-Laden Truck, Commercial Bus Collide On Lagos Bridge