We Won’t Back Down On Strike – NLC tells Senate

Forum 7 years ago

We Won’t Back Down On Strike – NLC tells Senate

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) yesterday told the Senate that it is not ready to back down on its strike over increment in fuel price until the Federal Government resume talks with them for a way out of the crisis.

The Union led by factional President, Ayuba Wabba made the declaration during the parley with Bukola Saraki, the Senate led by the Senate president .

The labour union said that they were ready to resume at the negotiation table with the federal government over the fuel matter any time invitation to that effect gets to them.

The NLC President debunked reports that Labour leaders walked out on the negotiation team of the federal government on Tuesday night before the strike commenced on Wednesday.

“Let me first thank you immensely for inviting us to try to get first hand information on the issues that we are trying to engage government in negotiations essentially about the trade issue about the electricity tariff but importantly about the increase in the pump price of PMS from N87 to N145 and we have assured the senate president that at no point had we walk out on the government.

”In fact when those issues were presented and the position of government was made to us, we did not actually agree and they requested that we excuse them, which we did.

“We have not at any point walk out on government and we are still open to discussion and dialogue because we are also doing this in the best interest of all of us as working class and also the larger population of citizens.

“But as things are now, the strike continues until needed resolutions are arrived at in further negotiations with the federal government”

In his remarks after the short meeting, the Senate President said the meeting had already provided the needed green light for an end to the Labour strike with the acceptance of its leaders to go back to the negotiation table with the federal government any moment from now.

He said the senate would see to the resumption of negotiations between Labour and Federal government and collaborate with them for speedy resolution of the current impasse.

”I am happy to report that the NLC leaders have shown their commitment to continue dialogue with government and our role is to see that we facilitate that for needed resolutions on the issues on ground.

”I am encouraged by what they have said and confident that we would be able to do this. I know when they leave here they are also going to meet with the House of Representatives and right now they are in the house of the senate, we will play our own role in facilitating and ensuring that we can bring the two parties together so that we can find a lasting solution that will reduce the hardships that Nigerians are going through.

“At the end of the day whatever constituency we belong to, whether it is labour or legislature or executive, we would be happy that the strike comes to an end” the Senate President said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala
Forum | 11 hours ago

‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo
Forum | 12 hours ago

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo

Senate, House Of Reps To Resume Plenary In New Chambers
Forum | 2 days ago

Senate, House Of Reps To Resume Plenary In New Chambers

Senate Begins Hearing On Electricity Tariff Hike Probe
Forum | 3 days ago

Senate Begins Hearing On Electricity Tariff Hike Probe