Burundi Bans People From Owning Two Sim Cards From Same Network

Forum 8 years ago

Burundi Bans People From Owning Two Sim Cards From Same Network

Burundi has banned people from owning two sim cards from the same mobile provider, local Bonesha FM reports, quoting a press release from the finance ministry.

Mobile phone companies will have two months to comply with the new regulations, it adds.

Phone companies will also have to register all sim card users, or face fines of up to $3,000 (£2,100) for each case where they fail to block an unregistered user.

The move comes amid continuing civil unrest in the country, which was sparked last April when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced he was running for a third term.

Phone companies will also have to register all sim card users, or face fines of up to $3,000 (£2,100) for each case where they fail to block an unregistered user.

The move comes amid continuing civil unrest in the country, which was sparked last April when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced he was running for a third term.

Nigeria slapped mobile phone giant MTN with a multi-billion dollar fine last year for failing to disconnect unregistered sim cards, with President Muhammadu Buhari blaming the company for fuelling the Boko Haram insurgency.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Haters Are Losers And Can Never Do Better Than The People They Hate - Yul Edochie
Forum | 1 day ago

Haters Are Losers And Can Never Do Better Than The People They Hate - Yul Edochie

The Social Network 2: Aaron Sorkin Writing Quasi-Sequel About Insurrection
Forum | 5 days ago

The Social Network 2: Aaron Sorkin Writing Quasi-Sequel About Insurrection

I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti
Forum | 1 week ago

I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti

When Naira Went Haywire And Some People Were Celebrating, Inwardly We Were Laughing At Them - Shettima Says
Forum | 1 week ago

When Naira Went Haywire And Some People Were Celebrating, Inwardly We Were Laughing At Them - Shettima Says